If you like what you read, consider donating to help me support my family.

Friday, August 29, 2014

Coconut Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies

Tonight, I was in the mood for chocolate chip cookies, and since I happen to have a lot of coconut flour in the house (and shouldn't eat regular flour anyway), I decided to try it out.
First I looked for recipes, and ended up using the original recipe from Cooking With Coconut by Bruce Fife, mostly because all the recipes I found were pretty much exactly the same anyway, and I have the book. The ingredients are:

1/2 cup butter
1cup brown sugar
4 eggs
1/2 tsp Vanilla
1/8 tsp Salt
3/4 cup semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
1 cup Coconut Flour
(Also, optional shredded or flaked coconut that I decided against.)

The instructions are something like mix all wet ingredients, add in the dry ingredients, mix well, add in chocolate chips, mix by hand, then bake @ 375 for 14-15 minutes.

My husband will tell you at length how it frustrates him that I simply cannot follow instructions, lol! It's true, not because I literally can't, but because I feel that instructions are just a base to work from. SOOOO, here's what I did - and I'm not claiming that I am better than the original, lol!

First, I doubled the recipe. This meant that everything listed above is actually X2. EXCEPT for the sugar, because I absolutely HATE cookies that are so sweet they hurt my teeth! For the sugar, I simply left the amount at one cup. If you are good with math, you'll realize that I cut the total amount of sugar in half, lol!

Second, I didn't have any brown sugar on hand since I used it up about a month ago and haven't had a chance to buy more. NO PROBLEM :-D I know that brown sugar is really just Sugar Cane Juice that has been stripped of all nutrients (creating two products - white sugar and molasses), and then had a little bit of the molasses added back in to create brown sugar. I happen to have some Blackstrap Molasses on hand, so I figured that I would just make my own brown sugar.

Here's where I hit a snag... I am out of organic white sugar too!!! I made two batches of Kombucha and a batch of Strawberry Rhubarb Wine and basically ran myself out, and then forgot about it, ack!

So, I had to use what was on hand. All I had left was maple syrup, but I only had a half a cup of it, so I used that up, and then to make use of the sugar that had crystallized at the bottom of the jar, I added a half a cup of hot water (to dissolve the sugar) and about a Tablespoon of Blackstrap Molasses to the bottle and shook it up until the crystallized sugar dissolved completely. This probably made up slightly more than a cup of sweetener total, but I think it was actually a good ratio. My cookies turned out tasting like they'd been made using brown sugar :-)
(Note: my batter turned out browner than normal because of the Blackstrap molasses :-) )

Anyway, after mixing the cookies together - first the wet then the dry then the chocolate chips - I rolled the fairly wet dough into balls by hand and carefully flattened them out on a baking sheet. I baked them according to the directions, and they turned out pretty good. My boys LOVE them!!!

My hubby is on the fence about them because while they TASTE like real chocolate chip cookies, he - like me - is used to cookies made using regular white flour, which has a particular texture to it. A sort of soft texture.

These cookies weren't hard, but they have a very slightly gritty texture to them that mildly turns us off. They are NOT what we were raised on, and being creatures of habit, we sort of have a hard time accepting healthy changes that feel weird in our mouths.

THAT SAID, try it! Seriously, they tasted really good. If you like more sugar, add more :-D Make sure that your kids fall in love with them. Frost them with honey sweetened cream cheese or heavy whipping cream beaten with honey and chocolate powder if you must to make them even yummier! But make them.

WHY? You might ask, well it's like I already said, the ONLY reason my hubby and I don't love them is that we are used to the texture we were raised on. We are fortunate that I started my real food journey when my boys were still in diapers, so they are used to eating whatever I make. I never catered to pickiness, and I never gave them treats. So to them, these cookies are HEAVEN!!!

Even better, because they - like us - will prefer the cookies they were raised with as children, they will grow up judging all other cookies by the standards of taste and texture of the cookies I make, which means that they will not have the same texture problems that my husband and I do.

Or in other words, I make my children healthy cookies (or as healthy as anything can get while still being called a cookie, lol!) and they love them :-D Yours will too!
Have a happy day :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome and encourage everyone to comment... except spammers and bots. So, I am sorry that I have to require moderation, but I've now officially got 10 times more comments from spammers than real people. Thank you for your comment and have a happy day :-)

Charts and Readings

Choose