If you like what you read, consider donating to help me support my family.

Monday, May 5, 2014

Basic Creamy Sauce and Chicken Chimichangas

Tonight, I decided to make Chicken Chimichangas for dinner. In the past, I've normally made chimis plain, as in tasty filling, but nothing on top. I know that in the restaurant, it often comes with a creamy sauce, so once or twice, I have made alfredo sauce to go on it, but tonight, I was in the mood for something different.

Using what I had on hand, I created a super delicious sauce that could win awards. No I'm serious! I'm probably copying someone somewhere, but if so, I have no idea who, lol!

Basic Creamy Sauce

First of all, since I was making Chicken Chimis, I took two large bone-in, skin on breasts and cooked them. I seasoned them to my preference with salt and a home made mix of seasonings like garlic, onion, and paprika. When they were done, I set them aside to add to the filling.

In my pan, I had a pool of seasoned chicken grease. It seemed like a shame to let it go to waste, so I decided to add about a cup of sour cream to the pan - after the grease had cooled. I turned the burner to low and mixed the grease and cream together until it was fairly well blended. Then, I tasted it and realized that it needed something.

Grabbing my shaker of Realsalt, I sprinkled a little on top of my sauce, and then sprinkled a little from a jar labeled Organic All Seasons Salt. To me, it is pretty much an organic version of Lowery's seasoning. Then I mixed the sauced up again, and when I was done and tasted it...

Oh. My. Gods! I was in heaven! I mean seriously, it was better than the Chimis, lol!

As for the Chimis, I thought that Chimichangas were really complicated to make until I actually saw a recipe posted to my facebook. I couldn't believe how simple they were! I can't guarantee that they are authentic, but here goes:

Chicken Chimichangas

2 Packages of Cream Cheese
1/2 to 1 whole package of shredded cheese - your choice.
Seasoning to taste
2 chicken breasts cooked and chopped up
Flour tortillas

Toss the cream cheese into a large bowl. Season it anyway you like; I used a home made blend of garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt, and a hint of sugar. Then - to give it a zing - I shook just a tiny hint of cayenne into it. BE CAREFUL with cayenne!!! In the past, I shook maybe a 1/4 teaspoon into the chimis and they were so hot that we almost couldn't eat them!!! We are NOT fans of spicy, lol!

To the seasoned cream cheese, add shredded cheese until it fully covers it. Mix and if it doesn't look like the shredded cheese is about half the mix, add more. It's okay to add an entire 8 oz package, lol! It's also okay to go light on the cheese :-)

To the mix, add the prepared chicken. It's okay if it's still hot, and actually helps the mixture to blend better, but chances are the chicken probably got cold while you were waiting to cut it up. It's all good :-)

Take the mix and place it on flour tortillas, then wrap them into any shape you like. Mine tend to turn into rectangles, lol. Smear butter on the top of the rectangles, and then place them in a baking dish. Bake at 425 for about 15 minutes. If you remember, turn the chimi over about halfway through. I usually forget, oops. When you start to smell them, check on them because they quickly go from done to burnt.

Place chimi on a plate and cover with the sauce then enjoy! This is a pretty quick and tasty dinner to make when you're in the mood for something different. My husband and two boys all agree that it's tasty, so it's worth a try. Let me know what you think :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome and encourage everyone to comment... except spammers and bots. So, I am sorry that I have to require moderation, but I've now officially got 10 times more comments from spammers than real people. Thank you for your comment and have a happy day :-)

Charts and Readings

Choose