If you like what you read, consider donating to help me support my family.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Burritos

Sort of a strange thing to blog about, I know, because there is no set recipe for burritos, but I remembered to take a pic, so I thought, WTH! Why not?

I started by browning about 2 lbs of ground beef. I probably only needed 1 lb, but my hubby likes to freeze them in 2 lb packs because we normally make things in double batches so that there are leftovers for lunch the next day. As the beef was browning, I added Organic All Seasons Salt to it - which is basically an organic version of Lowery's all purpose seasoning salt - AND RealSalt brand sea salt. I find that this combo tends to make the meat taste almost like the taco meat you'd get from Taco Bell or by using a taco seasoning package.

Once it was cooked, I turned the heat off, then I cut up one extraordinarily large organic Roma tomato. After it was diced into chunks, I placed a flour tortilla on a plate, slathered it with a spoonful or two of organic Refried Black Beans, Sour Cream, the diced Romas, and Organic Romaine Lettuce that I cut/shredded as I layered it onto the burrito. After that, I added some cheese, and finally topped it with the taco seasoned ground beef.

I find that putting the beef directly on the cheese will help it melt. I prefer to leave the lettuce, tomatoes, and sour cream cold, so I do not heat the whole thing up in the toaster oven, though I could. In fact, if I wanted to, I could layer the beans, cheese, and meat on the tortilla, toast it in my toaster oven for about 4-5 minutes, and THEN toss the rest on it. Whatever works :-)

Anyway, since I use large tortillas, just one is plenty to fill us up! Remember I said I managed to remember to take a pic? Well, here it is!

Granted, you can't see all the ingredients I listed, but they're there! Oh, and I accidentally tossed more meat on here than I intended to, so if you are thinking "Damn, that's a lot of meat for one burrito!" that's why :-)

Lastly, I also love to make Cilantro Lime Rice to add to the burritos. I didn't tonight, but I have in the past. To do so is easy, especially if you have a rice maker. Just add a dash or two of lime juice and a generous sprinkle of cilantro to the rice in the maker just before you set it to cook, et voila! The only thing I haven't ever taken the time to make that I do occasionally like on my burritos is corn salsa, but I'm sure I'll get on that one of these days :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome and encourage everyone to comment... except spammers and bots. So, I am sorry that I have to require moderation, but I've now officially got 10 times more comments from spammers than real people. Thank you for your comment and have a happy day :-)

Charts and Readings

Choose